In order to finally get rid of a fungal infection at home, it is necessary to use not only antifungal drugs inside and out, but also actively use alternative medicine methods. When choosing all medicines, it is necessary to consult a dermatologist, to exclude side effects and medical contraindications. If you correctly and timely apply the treatment of toenail fungus with folk remedies, the natural healing process is noticeably accelerated.
What is nail fungus
This is an infectious disease where nail plates and nearby soft tissues of the fingers are involved in the pathological process. The disease is triggered by increased activity of dermatophytes, molds, yeasts, and other pathogenic microorganisms. More often, onychomycosis becomes a complication of the underlying disease of the body, it is difficult to conservative treatment. At first, the fungus proceeds in a painless, latent form, later on acute relapse is already accompanied by skin itching, burning, aesthetic defect.
How to treat nail fungus
A large number of pharmacy products prevail in free sale, the active components of which kill the pathogenic flora, relieve unpleasant symptoms inside, eliminate the visible defect. In order to recover faster, it is recommended to strictly adhere to the following medical recommendations:
- The first step is to remove the upper layer of keratinized cells in the epidermis, while the nail plate itself is cut as far as possible along the length. Such hygiene procedures must be carried out during intensive care.
- To quickly soften the keratinized layer of nails, you can prepare warm baths from calendula or pharmacy chamomile, after which you must use local antiseptics.
- In case of a fungal disease, it is important to disinfect infected shoes and individual components of the wardrobe (underwear), while having personal hygiene products, dishes, and familiar household items.
- When choosing alternative medicine, it is important to consult a dermatologist, because with the mediocre result of alternative treatment, the clinical picture is only complicated.
- It is necessary to use fast methods of treatment in a full course, otherwise the appearance of repeated relapse is not excluded. It is important not to remove the visible symptoms, but to thoroughly treat the fungal infection.
In order to efficiently exterminate the pathogenic pathogen, it is necessary to take systemic drugs - inside, in a full course. The intensive care regimen needs to be selected individually, involving several pharmacological groups at once. In this case, we are talking about the following medications:
- antifungal agents inside (capsules, tablets): Fluconazole, Diflucan, Irunin, Itraconazole, Ketoconazole;
- topical antifungal agents (gels, sprays, ointments): Terbinafine, Clotrimazole, Lamisil, Bifonazole;
- local antiseptics: hydrogen peroxide, iodine, tincture of calendula;
- special varnishes with antifungal and protective effect: Batrafen, Mikozan, Loceryl;
- medications that improve local blood circulation: ointments Troxevasin, Detralex;
- hepatoprotectors (as part of complex therapy to reduce toxic effects on the liver): Carsil, Legalon, Essentiale-forte;
- vitamins of groups A, B, E, multivitamin complexes.
Before starting conservative treatment of nail fungus, the first thing to do is to carefully remove the keratinized layer of cells, then use local antiseptics externally. After a quality treatment, you can use the methods of conservative therapy, while not violating the doctor’s recommendations regarding the methods of use and the daily dose of the medicine. Additionally, observe the rules of personal hygiene, strengthen immunity and take vitamins.
The use of creams and ointments
After a detailed diagnosis and microscopic examination of the nail plate, the attending physician prescribes sprays, ointments, gels and solutions with an antifungal effect externally. For external defects, the first thing you need to do is a hardware manicure, then use the antifungal agents externally for the intended purpose. Below are the most effective pharmacological positions in a given direction:
- Exoderyl. The drug is available in the form of a spray and ointment, intended for external use. Ointment has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and regenerating properties, acts locally. The active ingredient - naphthyne hydrochloride, destroys the cells of pathogenic fungi, prevents their reproduction and development. The drug must be applied externally once a day for 2 to 4 weeks. Among the advantages are an affordable price, high efficiency, the absence of contraindications and side effects. Disadvantages are local reactions.
- Clotrimazole. This is a synthetic antifungal agent in the form of an ointment, which is required to be applied to cleaned and dried skin in the morning and evening for 3 to 4 weeks. If necessary, you can extend the course to 1 month. The active component of the same name at a high concentration violates the integrity of the walls of the membranes of fungi, inhibits their increased activity, and accumulates during repeated use. Among the advantages are external changes, reasonable price and soft effect. Disadvantages - selective action in the body, the presence of side effects.
- Terbinafine. Antimycotic is available in the form of a cream or spray with a pronounced fungicidal effect. The active component of the same name accumulates in the nail plates and exhibits healing properties even after drug withdrawal. The cream is recommended for any fungal lesions, it is recommended to apply it with a thin layer, gently rub into the foci of pathology. Long-term treatment with terbinafine can last from 6 to 12 months. Among the advantages are a quick and noticeable effect, an affordable price and a minimum of contraindications. Disadvantages - the medicine is not suitable for all patients.
- Mycozoral. With external signs of the fungus, it is necessary to use the indicated antifungal drug in the morning and evening. It is important to apply the therapeutic composition to previously cleaned nail plates, use a manicure set. The active component - ketoconazole, is endowed with fungicidal activity against streptococci, staphylococci, dermatophytes, yeast-like, dimorphic and higher fungi. The medicine must be applied in a thin layer for 2 to 3 weeks. Among the advantages are high efficiency, reliable method. The disadvantage is the cost.
If local therapy after 2 - 3 weeks of regular use does not bring positive results, or if the clinical picture is started, the attending physician proceeds to the full-time systemic therapy. The patient will have to take antifungal drugs in a full course inside, so it is important not to disrupt the daily doses, do not engage in surface self-medication. Here are effective medications in a given direction:
- Lamisil. A combined drug with a systemic effect in the body is available in the form of tablets. The active component is terbinafine, it has a fungicidal effect against fungal flora, productively destroys the microbe. It is recommended to take 1 tablet per day for the treatment of brush nails for 1.5 months, for foot nails - up to six months. Additionally, varnishes or other external agents can be applied to enhance the overall therapeutic effect. Among the benefits is a systemic effect in the body. Disadvantages - contraindications and side effects.
- Thermicon. To eliminate the symptoms of a fungal disease, the doctor prescribes the indicated medication. There are 14 tablets in one pack, which is enough to complete a weekly course. It is recommended to take pills in 1 - 2 pcs. per day, and be treated for 1 to 4 weeks, depending on medical indications. With a dose violation, one can worsen one's own condition, but not accelerate the general therapeutic effect. Among the advantages are an affordable price and a persistent therapeutic effect. Disadvantages - cases of overdose, contraindications.
- Orungal. The active component of itraconazole provides a corrective effect against pathogenic flora, destroys harmful fungi and removes them from the body. The tablets are intended for oral administration. A single dose is 1 pill, which is required to drink plenty of water. The medicine should be taken orally 1 - 2 times a day, while not forgetting about side effects, contraindications, and drug interactions. Among the advantages are high efficiency, quick results. Disadvantages when conservative therapy is observed are completely absent.
- Ketoconazole This is an antifungal drug in the form of tablets with the same active component, which provides fungicidal and antimycotic effects in the body, successfully fights pathogenic flora and its pronounced symptoms. It is supposed to be taken orally by 1 tablet per day for 6 months for the treatment of brush nails, up to 6-18 months - nail of the feet. Benefits are a quick way to cure pathogenic flora. The disadvantage is that with superficial self-medication you can harm your own health.
- Diflucan. This is a quick treatment of toenail fungus, which is recommended to supplement with antifungal ointments, sprays, creams to accelerate the desired result. Capsules are one of the most popular because they are inexpensive and productively rid the body of fungal infections. The drug is approved for use in old age, but this method has contraindications, doctors do not exclude drug interactions. It is recommended to drink 1 capsule per week for 6 to 12 months.
You can quickly get rid of nail fungus with the help of special varnishes, which will treat the affected nail plates 1 to 2 times per week. Without fail, it is necessary to clean the affected areas, eliminate the stratum corneum. In order for the treatment to be quick and effective, hands should be placed in a hot bath and steamed, after using a manicure set, use local antiseptics, such as hydrogen peroxide or vodka. Here are effective varnishes to make fungus treatment quick and effective:
- Batrafen. The active component - 8% cyclopirox, penetrates deep into the foci of pathology, forms a protective film on the surface of the nail. It is required to use the composition twice a week, and before the start of the session it will not hurt to hold the problem areas in a weak solution of potassium permanganate for 15-10 minutes. The course of therapy is determined individually, it can last up to 6 months. Among the advantages are the elimination of an aesthetic defect, quick treatment. Disadvantages - the high cost of the drug.
- Loceryl. The active component - 5% amorolfin, has a fungicidal effect directly on the focus of the pathology. In order not to damage or injure the affected areas, before using the varnish, you need to perform a hot bath or compress, and steam out the nail plates. After washing hands or feet, apply therapeutic varnish 1 time per week. Among the advantages are a quick method of therapy, a soft and gentle effect; disadvantages - the high price of the medicine.
- Oflomil. With a thickening of the nail plate and in the case of the development of a pathogenic fungus, you can use this therapeutic varnish in a full course of 3-6 months. The therapeutic effect does not appear immediately - as the concentration of the active component in the nail plate increases. The varnish additionally contains nutrients and vitamins, necessary to improve the appearance of the nail plate, the extermination of fungal infections. Among the advantages is a stable therapeutic effect, the disadvantages of treatment are completely absent.
- Oflomelide. Healing varnish is effective in case of increased activity of dermatophytes, yeast, dimorphic, mold fungi in the initial and advanced stages. To apply the composition is required on a previously cleaned surface of the nail 1 - 2 times per week. Among the contraindications are pregnancy, individual intolerance to the components, lactation, children's age up to 12 years. The patient will have to be treated in this way until complete recovery. Among the advantages are a speedy recovery, the disadvantage is the high price, side effects.
Nail fungus treatment at home
Quick methods for treating fungus are effective in the home environment, the main thing is to consult a dermatologist first. Recipes with herbal and natural ingredients can cause an allergic reaction on the skin, so superficial self-medication is best avoided. Below are the most effective methods of alternative medicine. You can use:
- hydrogen peroxide;
- apple or table vinegar;
- soap or tar soap;
- with the help of ammonia;
- baking soda;
How to treat vinegar
Fungi are afraid of an acidic environment, so baths, compresses and lotions with this food ingredient will help get rid of pathogenic flora in the shortest possible time. To prepare the medicinal composition, add 500 ml of vinegar essence to 3 liters of water, mix. Lower the affected nails for 10 - 15 minutes, then treat dry skin with a nourishing cream. Such a procedure can be carried out 1 to 2 times a day until complete recovery. In addition, it does not hurt to go to bed in cotton socks moistened with vinegar.
How to treat hydrogen peroxide
This disinfectant is intended for topical use. Peroxide contributes to the rapid discharge of the stratum corneum of the dermis, reduces the foci of pathology, gradually eliminates the cosmetic defect of the affected nail plates. It is necessary to apply an antiseptic on several layers of gauze, then use it as a compress, apply to the foci of pathology until the alarm symptoms disappear completely.
Choosing a reliable recipe for nail fungus, it is important not to forget that a full recovery is possible only at an early stage of the disease. In neglected clinical pictures, taking official antimycotics is still not enough, and folk remedies become an additional method of conservative treatment. In chronic onychomycosis, such natural medicines are used for prevention purposes to significantly extend the period of remission.
Garlic and onion
Folk remedy for foot fungus with onion and garlic provides bactericidal, immunostimulating, anti-inflammatory, symptomatic and antimycotic properties. To enhance the overall therapeutic effect, mixing of food ingredients is not excluded, and patients' reviews about such a medicine have predominantly positive content.
It is necessary to combine onion and garlic in a ratio of 1: 1, grind in a blender to a state of gruel. Squeeze the juice lightly. Apply the composition to several layers of gauze, then attach to the focus of the pathology, which managed to infect the fungus, fix with adhesive plaster. Do not remove the bandage until morning. The course of therapy is until the unpleasant symptoms of fungal nail damage disappear completely.
Application of copper sulfate
Using this healing ingredient, you can quickly get rid of a pathogenic fungus.It can be compresses, baths or therapeutic ointment for external use. In the latter case, it is required to calcine the powder to a white-gray color, after which add yellow sulfur, goose fat in equal proportions. Stir the composition, store in a glass container in the refrigerator. It is necessary to intensively lubricate the affected nail plates until a healthy color and structure returns to those.
How to be treated with salt and soda
Salt and soda drinks not only kill the pathogenic flora, for example, by rinsing the throat, but also completely get rid of the fungal infection with external use. To prepare a healing bath, you can use table or sea salt, alternate with alkaline formulations. An acidic environment is detrimental to pathogenic flora, so microbes reduce their activity, die. The risk of potential complications is minimal, the treatment method is quick and reliable, it is used until the alarm symptoms disappear completely.
Lilac, celandine, calendula, oregano - these are medicinal herbs with which you can quickly overcome nail fungus, eliminate the risk of its re-occurrence in the future. For example, if you steam 2 tbsp. l dried celandine in 500 ml of boiling water, strain and perform a therapeutic bath, the positive dynamics of the disease is observed after 3-5 procedures. The course of treatment is 2 to 3 weeks.
The use of birch tar with nail fungus is enormous, since the natural components in its composition destroy the parasite cells and contribute to their inconspicuous elimination in a natural way. It is recommended to prepare a powder from tar soap, which should be dissolved in warm water and foamed. Such a bath must be performed before bedtime, but first remove the keratinized cells of the focus of the pathology, to maximize the length of the nails.
Tea tree oil
When studying the fastest ways to treat nail fungus, it is important not to forget about the benefits of essential oils. Such home treatment provides a local effect, does not cause side effects. Tea tree oil is especially effective against bacterial, viral, fungal infections, and successfully cures chronic mycosis on the toes. It is necessary to rub the oil composition into the foci of pathology, but first perform hardware manicure, pedicure.
Golden mustache alcohol tincture
With hyperkeratosis, diabetes mellitus, pregnancy and lactation, it is recommended to refrain from treating fungal flora in this way, since the composition of the recipe contains alcohol-containing components. The drug is ideally suited to other categories of patients, as it is intended for quick and effective treatment. It is required to carefully grind 15 - 20 joints of the golden mustache and infuse in 500 ml of vodka for two weeks. Take the medicine inside - 1 time per day, 10 drops. Each time, the dose of the medicine can be increased by 1 drop.
This gentle and at the same time progressive method is used in neglected clinical pictures, implemented with the participation of a local antiseptic. The essence of the technique is as follows: first, the doctor applies a pigment gel, then he works out the problem area with a laser beam (removes the mycelium), thereby destroying the causative agents of the disease. Positive dynamics is provided for 3 to 4 procedures with a break of 1 month. Advantages - painless session, effectiveness. The disadvantage is the high price.
All the fastest methods for treating nail fungus necessarily begin with a hardware pedicure (manicure), especially advanced cases. The main goal is to remove the upper layer of the nail plate, where keratinized cells are concentrated. Such mechanical cleaning using a special nozzle reduces the foci of pathology, prevents the development of infection. The advantages are speed and efficiency, the disadvantage is not an independent treatment.
Nail plate removal
Surgery is a radical method of treating nail fungus in a complicated clinical picture when the structure of the nail plate is affected by 70% or more. The doctor recommends a matrixectomy. The essence of the surgical method is the forced damage to the nail matrix - the area where the nail body is formed. In such a mechanical or chemical way, it is possible to give rise to the growth of a new, already healthy surface. This is an extreme measure of surgical treatment, which doctors rarely use. The disadvantage is a long rehabilitation period.
The fastest way to treat nail fungus
If you have to treat a fungus on your toenails, the first thing you need to do is disinfect the shoes and underwear, cut the nail plates "under the root". Then you can use salicylic acid (in the pharmacy there is a penny), which 2 - 3 times a day lubricate the visible foci of pathology. The duration of such conservative therapy is until the symptoms finally disappear. Additionally, you can perform alkaline baths before bedtime.Attention! The information presented in the article is for guidance only. Materials of the article do not call for independent treatment. Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis and give recommendations for treatment based on the individual characteristics of a particular patient.