This disease is considered to be female. In the male body, the symptoms of thrush are rare, and the treatment of candidiasis in men with antifungal drugs has features. Why, when signs of the disease appear, you need to turn to specialists, what methods of combating the infection exist - more on this in the review of medicines and healing schemes.
What is candidiasis
Among the inhabitants of the microflora of the human body that help its work, there is the Candida albicans fungus of the Candida genus. It belongs to yeast microorganisms, located on the mucous membranes. While a person is healthy, the fungus does not manifest itself, but with a decrease in immunity, a sharp growth of the colony occurs, especially in a warm and humid environment. Such a reaction leads to the development of an infection - candidiasis or thrush.
The disease most often affects the female genital organs, which have a favorable environment for the reproduction of the fungus - acidic, moist and warm. Men are less susceptible to infection. This is due to uncomfortable conditions for fungal infection - alkaline environment and the external location of the genitals. A sharp drop in immunity can provoke:
- balanitis - superficial candidiasis affecting the glans penis;
- candida urethritis - with an ailment, the scrotum and skin of the groin area are affected by inflammation, the fungus settles on the urethral mucosa, causing problems with urination.
The cause of thrush in men can be sexual contact with an infected woman. If a person is healthy, then treatment of candidiasis in men is not required in this case - the body's immune cells will cope on their own. With a weakened protective barrier, pathology development factors become:
- genital infections
- hormonal imbalance;
- metabolic disease;
- the use of antibiotics, hormones;
- endocrine system diseases;
- drinking alcohol;
- stressful situations;
- psychological stress.
Symptoms and features of the course in men
When signs of the disease are found on the genitals, men panic, but are embarrassed to consult doctors and often self-medicate. It is important to know the symptoms of infection - advanced candidiasis can lead to cystitis, inflammation of the prostate gland, urogenital diseases, impotence. Characteristic signs with candidal balanitis:
- swelling, red spots on the glans penis;
- the appearance of a white curd coating;
- burning, itching and pain during intercourse;
- increased libido as a result of irritation of nerve endings;
- the presence of a sour smell.
It is necessary to begin treatment of candidiasis in men until the disease begins to progress. As the infection develops, lesions of the skin of the scrotum, inguinal folds are observed, which leads to candidal urethritis, which is characterized by symptoms:
- frequent urination;
- the formation of peeling in the foreskin;
- the appearance of wounds, superficial erosion with bleeding;
- cramping, burning when urinating.
How to treat candidiasis in men
When symptoms of the disease appear, it is necessary to consult a doctor, take a smear, do a laboratory test to identify the causative agent of the infection. Only after this, treatment for candidiasis in men can be prescribed. Self-control of the disease can activate the inflammatory process. Dermatologists prescribe:
- local application of ointment, cream;
- oral antifungal medication.
To treat male thrush, experts recommend:
- restoration of the natural intestinal microflora;
- baths with medicinal herbs;
- diet food;
- refusal of alcohol, smoking;
- limitation of physical activity;
- temporary cessation of sexual intercourse;
- vitamin complexes;
- normalization of sugar levels.
If the disease is diagnosed on time, men can treat thrush with ointments and creams. Medicines are applied to the affected areas, have few contraindications. The doctor must correctly diagnose and select a remedy. Preparations for the external treatment of candidiasis in men differ in their effect. Nystatin-based antifungal antibiotics quickly kill colonies of microorganisms. These include:
- Amphotericin B;
There are two large groups of antimycotic ointments that have different effects on infectious agents:
- azoles - contribute to the destruction of the cell membrane of the fungus, stop its reproduction - cream Clotrimazole, Miconazole;
- allylamines - inhibit the development of microorganisms, cause their death, blocking the biosynthesis of stearins - Terbinafine, Mikonorm.
When the disease is started, tablets are used to treat candidiasis in men. Their dosage and course are determined by the doctor. Medications solve several problems. Dermatologists are prescribed to take a man with thrush:
- antimycotic drugs - Flucostat, Diflucan;
- antifungal antibiotics - Natamycin, Pimafucin;
- fortifying vitamin complexes;
- immunomodulators that increase protective forces - Viferon, Immunal;
- restoring the intestinal microflora, the balance of microorganisms - Linex, Bifidumbacterin.
Local drugs for the treatment of thrush in men with candidal balanoposthitis
The use of creams and ointments is very effective in the early diagnosis of the disease in men. With the development of infection, local antifungal agents help the treatment of candidiasis as part of complex therapy. Dermatologists prescribe patients and drugs individually. The medicine is applied in a thin layer on the inner surface of the foreskin, the glans penis, which should be clean and dry. Popular drugs for candida balanoposthitis:
This effective antifungal agent destroys the cell membrane of fungi. Its active substance is miconazole citrate. It is important to determine the sensitivity of the fungus to the drug. The cream is applied to the affected part of the penis with a thin layer before absorption. When using miconazole, the following should be considered:
- the cream is applied in the morning and evening;
- course of treatment - up to four weeks, determined by the doctor;
- contraindications - diabetes mellitus, renal, liver failure;
- side effects - irritation, allergy.
The cream is prescribed for the treatment of candidiasis in men when its detrimental effect on Candida albicans has been determined. Ketoconazole has a quick effect, destroys the spores of fungi, stops their reproduction. When prescribing a cream, take into account:
- contraindications - pathology of the liver, kidneys, sensitivity to components;
- side effect - burning, local edema;
- the drug is applied once a day, at night, on a clean, dried surface of the penis;
- the course of treatment - about three weeks - is set by the doctor.
Cream refers to antimycotic drugs with bactericidal action. Econazole contributes to the destruction of fungal colonies, the elimination of infection. The drug treats candidiasis in men. The following are considered:
- contraindications - hypersensitivity;
- side effects - redness of the skin of the penis, rash, burning, irritation;
- the cream is applied twice a day to the lesion site;
- the course of therapy is not less than two weeks, taking into account the severity of the disease.
This ointment refers to strong antimycotic agents with a wide spectrum of action. Clotrimazole stops the development of the fungus, eliminates the infection. The drug is quick in performance. Need to know:
- the occurrence of allergic reactions is not excluded;
- possible side effects - peeling, swelling, skin irritation;
- the first result is visible after 14 days;
- ointment must be applied twice a day to the affected area of the penis;
- therapy continues until symptoms are resolved and a few more days.
The drug belongs to antifungal antibiotics, actively counteracts pathogenic microorganisms, affecting their cells, stopping growth and reproduction. Pimafucin has the active substance natamycin. This antibiotic helps to quickly eliminate the infection. Treatment of candidiasis in men with ointment is carried out according to the instructions:
- applied to the glans penis 4 times a day;
- the duration of the course is determined by the doctor - at least 10 days;
- side effects are absent;
- contraindications - sensitivity to the components of the drug.
Antifungal drugs for candidiasis in men in tablets
When the causative agent of the infection is Candida fungus, and the man turned to specialists too late, antimycotic drugs in tablets and capsules are prescribed for treatment. After oral administration, the drug begins to act on yeast-like fungi from the inside of the body. Therapy is effective for a prolonged course of the disease, the appearance of complications. It is important to determine the sensitivity of the fungus to the preparations before taking. Popular antimycotic agents for candidiasis:
The antifungal drug inhibits the synthesis of stearins in cells, effectively destroys pathogenic microorganisms. Fluconazole persists for a long time in blood plasma, providing a healing effect. When treating candidiasis, you need to consider:
- the drug is prescribed by a doctor for a progressive infection;
- contraindications - high sensitivity to components, liver pathology;
- side effects - dizziness, nausea, rashes, allergies;
- the course of treatment and dosage are selected individually taking into account the severity of the disease.
The medicine has the active substance fluconazole, actively resists fungal infections with candidiasis in men. Diflucan capsules are prescribed for candidal urethritis in a complicated form. When prescribing, dermatologists take into account:
- contraindications - liver disease, sensitivity to fluconazole;
- side effects - headache, diarrhea, cramps;
- capsules are taken once, the daily dosage is 150 mg;
- the duration of treatment is determined by the doctor in accordance with the symptoms, the results of intermediate analyzes.
The drug in capsules counteracts a large number of fungi, including Candida. It helps with advanced cases of the disease. The medicine is absorbed into the blood and accumulates, continuing treatment. You should know:
- side effects - pain in the abdomen, head, allergies;
- contraindications - cardiac pathology, liver, kidney disease, hypersensitivity, diabetes mellitus;
- the minimum course of treatment is a month;
- dosage is set by the doctor individually.
The antimycotic agent has the active substance intraconazole, which changes the permeability of fungal cells, stopping its reproduction. It has a powerful effect in the treatment of progressive candidiasis. When appointing men, they include:
- contraindications - pathology of the heart, kidneys, liver, intolerance to intraconazole;
- side effects - tinnitus, nausea, diarrhea;
- the course of treatment is from three weeks;
- dosage - corresponds to the severity of the disease, determined by a dermatologist.
The drug refers to antimycotic antibiotics active against yeast-like pathogens of the Candida species. Natamycin affects fungal colonies at the cellular level, inhibits their development. Doctors need to know:
- the drug is contraindicated for allergies to antibiotics of the macrolide group;
- has side effects - redness, burning, rash, vomiting;
- the duration of treatment depends on the symptoms;
- dosage is set individually.
Non-drug treatment of fungal diseases in men
To achieve a quick get rid of a fungal infection, you must follow the doctor's prescription. In addition to the use of drugs against candidiasis in men, non-pharmacological methods of healing should be used. It is required:
- personal hygiene;
- termination during sexual intercourse;
- normalization of nutrition - the use of a special diet;
- the use of alternative methods of treatment;
- the use of vitamins.
Means of traditional medicine
The use of plants and natural products helps to cope with the infection faster if folk recipes are used in combination with medicines. All methods of fighting thrush in men are prescribed by a doctor. Effective means:
- Soda. It is used for daily washing of the penis before applying the ointment. A teaspoon of soda is dissolved in a liter of water.
- Means for combating fungus, increasing immunity, includes 10 tablespoons of lemon juice, 5 each - honey and onion juice. It is taken orally three times a day before meals.
Low Carb Diet
An important component of the treatment of candidiasis is diet. The task is to exclude the spread of the fungus, cleanse the body, normalize digestion. Products with simple carbohydrates, sweets, sugar, contribute to the propagation of Candida albicans. It is necessary to remove meat that is digested for a long time and food that provokes fermentation - cheese, wine, pastries. Prohibited pickles, smoking, alcohol. You need to include low-carb foods in your diet:
- protein foods - fish, seeds, legumes;
- fiber-rich vegetables;
- yeast-free bread;
- dried fruits;
- the eggs.
When treating thrush in men, doctors prescribe vitamin complexes. Preparations must necessarily contain trace elements selenium, magnesium, zinc, iron. An organism affected by a fungal infection requires folic acid, vitamins of group B. The intake of the complex helps to maintain immunity, give the body strength to fight candidiasis. Dermatologists appoint as a component of therapeutic treatment:
Elena, 45 years old. I began to think that my thrush had gone into a chronic form - I’ll only recover, when relapse occurs again. The gynecologist advised to send her husband for analysis. Barely persuaded him to go to the clinic. To my surprise, it turned out that he is a carrier of infection. We were simultaneously treated for candidiasis, we no longer remember the disease.
Vladislav, 35 years old I did not expect that acquaintance with the beauty would end badly - just did not use a condom. The penis became red and inflamed, there was severe itching and burning. I thought that I had caught something venereal, but it turned out to be candidiasis. The doctor recommended doing baths with soda solution, smearing the drug Fluconazole. I had to be treated for 3 weeks.
Anastasia, 38 years old, got sick with a thrush and infected her husband. I was treated, the doctor said that in men in this situation, the body itself will cope with the infection. Unfortunately, it didn’t work, and she couldn’t send him to the hospital. My gynecologist advised me to buy clotrimazole and lubricate the glans penis twice a day. The drug helped to quickly cope with candidiasis.Attention! The information presented in the article is for guidance only. Materials of the article do not call for independent treatment.Only a qualified doctor can make a diagnosis and give recommendations for treatment based on the individual characteristics of a particular patient.